Whither the bath.
Jan. 31st, 2016 08:13 pmA random though hit me today. Many do but this one stuck. In this day and age do we really need a bath in our homes? I have had one bath in 8 months. My mother has used her bath twice in twenty years but despite a tiny bathroom which necessitated a corner bath to make it fit, refuses to remove it and put in a far more practical walk in shower..
And as I am a rational person I asked myself if I would buy a house without a bath? Nope. Despite the space they take up, I am emotionally attached to a bath. I want a bath after a really bad day. I know that if I have a messy job to do like bathe a pet, bleach/dye something large or dissolve a corpse at least I will have a contained space to do it.
[Poll #2035327][Poll #2035327]
And as I am a rational person I asked myself if I would buy a house without a bath? Nope. Despite the space they take up, I am emotionally attached to a bath. I want a bath after a really bad day. I know that if I have a messy job to do like bathe a pet, bleach/dye something large or dissolve a corpse at least I will have a contained space to do it.
[Poll #2035327][Poll #2035327]
no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 08:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 08:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 08:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 09:25 pm (UTC)The shower works well.
Ask me again after Eastercon.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 09:36 pm (UTC)Although I would really like a bigger one.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 09:48 pm (UTC)Baths are my guilty eco-crime. We have a huge one and I can have three a day if given half a chance.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 09:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 10:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-01-31 10:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 12:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 09:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 05:58 am (UTC)In the four years since I came to California, I have not had a single bath.
The "bathtub" in our house here is barely deeper than a shower-pan, and embarrassingly short; if I sat straight up like an L I might just get water enough to cover my legs. Maybe. That is useless to me bathwise, so I shower. And miss baths tremendously, and remain untherapeuted.
K says it's a safety feature to reassure families with small kids (pace your correspondent above) that their little darlings are safe from drowning, even unattended. I say it's a torment for the damned, meaning we expats who understand what a bath should be. Sigh.
no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 07:20 am (UTC)Also like to soak if I'm cold and aching.
no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 02:49 pm (UTC)I've lived in a flat which had a shower but no bath, and would do it again, but not if I intended to live there very long.
no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 05:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 05:28 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-01 05:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2016-02-02 02:12 pm (UTC)As others have said, it's also useful when dying one's hair and hand-washing some larger items.